What is osteoarthritis?
In osteoarthritis, the cartilage of the joint is destroyed, and the nature of the synovial fluid changes so that it is not as viscous and elastic as it should be. Osteoarthritis first shows wear and tear of the cartilage, and then of the other structures of the joint – bones, tendons, ligaments and synovial membranes. Due to the increasing number of patients, it has been recognised as a civilisation disease.
The main complaints associated with osteoarthritis:
- reduced mobility of the joint
- clearly audible sound of the working joint
Hyaluronic acidis essential for proper joint function. In a healthy joint, the joint fluid contains naturally produced hyaluronic acid, which among other things influences the flexibility of the joints. Thanks to its lubricating and cushioning properties, it enables painless movement of the joint and supplies the joint cartilage with nutrients.
What is viscosupplementation – hyaluronic acid therapy?
The replenishment of the synovial fluid by injecting purified hyaluronic acid into the joint improves its elasticity and viscosity. This reduces pain and improves the mobility of the joint after a single injection.
The effects of the treatment last for many months.
What are the effects of the treatment?
- reduced pain associated with the disease process in the joints;
- restoration of viscosity and elasticity of joint fluid
- reducing friction of joint surfaces
- reducing pain during movement and improving joint mobility
- anti-inflammatory and protective effect on joint cartilage.
We encourage you to find out more about the treatment of arthritis in our clinic in Krakow.